I know you want that donut. I get it- you’re starving and it just looks soooooo good. Been there, done that… and enjoyed every bite! A donut looks good but it might not be the best choice in terms of value. There’s nothing wrong with a sugary treat once in a while, but because food is fuel for our bodies, what we eat really does make a difference. One of the reasons we eat is to give our bodies energy, and there are certain foods that do really well at boosting your energy and keeping you in top form. Here are some smart choices:
1. Edamame: Edamame are full of iron. Lack of iron in your blood can make you tired and weak.
2. Beans and lentils: Also good sources of iron, and loaded with protein to fuel your muscles.
3. Nuts and seeds: The fiber in nuts and seeds helps to keep your blood sugar steady, which in turn helps keep your energy levels steady. The magnesium in nuts turns sugar to energy, and the protein keeps you satisfied.
4. Brown rice: Digesting the complex carbs in this whole grain give you energy.
5. Avocado: With it’s low glycemic index, avocado keeps your blood sugar even, and the potassium it provides will give you a quick shot of energy.
6. Honey: A spoonful of honey when you’re feeling tired provides fuel for your muscles.
7. Bananas: The sugar and fiber in bananas give you an instant energy boost, but not the kind that makes you crash soon after.
8. Apples: The sugar in apples provides quick energy, while the slow to digest fiber keeps that energy going.
9. Yogurt: Yogurt contains magnesium, which activates your metabolism to release energy.
10. Eggs: Eggs are high in the type of protein utilized by your body to generate energy.
11. Tuna: Lots of protein here, too, and also vitamin B, which is great for energy.
12. Green tea: Like, coffee, green tea contains caffeine. But in this form it makes you focused and alert without the jitters.
13. Oranges: You know oranges are full of vitamin C, which will make you feel less tired within a short time.
14. Lemon water: Being dehydrated will sap your energy, so drinking a glass of water is an instant fix. Adding lemon gives you electrolytes for an extra energy boost.
Eating foods that keep your energy levels up will keep you on your game, and don’t get yourself bored by eating the same thing all the time. Keep it interesting, and give your body variety and balance by switching it up.