Who doesn’t like a good hack? To be more specific: a good kitchen hack? Hacks are fun and make things easier, two things we can all use, and I’m excited to share these kitchen hacks with you:
1.Remove pieces of eggshell. What’s more annoying than fishing out pieces of eggshell? Try scooping them up with the edge of a cracked eggshell and they’re gone!
2. Scoop out squash seeds. Use an ice cream scoop to get them out easily and without making a mess.
3. Skim fat. How do you get the icky layer of fat off hot liquids? Wrap some ice cubes in paper towel or cheesecloth and skim over the top of liquid to cool and solidify the fat. Then just spoon out the pieces.
4. Peel hard boiled eggs. Make eggs easier to peel by adding a little baking soda or vinegar to the water when you boil them.
5. Juicy citrus. Microwave citrus fruits for 15 seconds and then roll on the counter before squeezing to get the most juice.
6. Grate cheese. Make it easier to grate semi-soft cheeses by freezing them first for about 30 minutes.
7. Slice raw meat. Freezing also makes it easier to slice raw meat for stir-fries and sauteeing.
8. Soften butter. Cut a stick of butter into 6 pieces. The smaller pieces will soften faster than a whole stick.
9. Measure honey. When you measure out honey or other sticky liquids it’s impossible to pour them out of the measuring spoon or cup. Coat the cup with a little oil or spray with cooking spray first and the honey slides right out.
10. Slice potatoes. Use an apple slicer to easily slice potatoes for homemade fries.
11. Make clear ice cubes. Make them with boiling water.
12. Cut cake neatly. Use dental floss for neat slices.
13. DIY ice packs. Freeze wet sponges in zip top bags for inexpensive reusable ice packs.
14. Prevent a pot from boiling over. Lay a wooden spoon across the top of the pot.
15. Remove silk from corn. Rub gently with a soft toothbrush. Not the one you use for your teeth, of course!
16. Keep brown sugar soft. Store it with a marshmallow.
17. Keep ice cream soft. I know I hate waiting for my ice cream to soften before I can scoop it! Store the container in a large zip top bag in the freezer.
18. Mash avocado. Get the perfect texture for your guacamole by mashing the avocado with a potato masher.
19. Get rid of garlic smell. Chopping lots of garlic? Hold onto stainless steel while you rinse your hands under cold water to remove the garlic odor from your hands.
20. Easy pastry bag. Spoon icing, batter, etc into a gallon size zip bag and snip off a corner for an instant, no-clean pastry bag.