Charcuterie boards have become a go-to appetizer for hosts to serve at dinner parties, picnics, or any get-togethers. The French word, Charcuterie means the art of preparing and assembling cured meats, and a charcuterie board is the assortment of meats along with a variety of other foods assembled onto a serving platter. A balanced charcuterie board will include a combination of contrasting savory and sweet ingredients that complement each other. There are no rules and you can add all your favorites to a charcuterie board, the possibilities are endless – just have fun with it!
Here are 8 ingredient options for inspiration for your next charcuterie board:
- Assorted meats: a charcuterie board wouldn’t be complete without the addition of cured meats such as salami, prosciutto, chorizo, pepperoni, or pâté
- Various cheeses: add an assortment of soft and hard cheeses such as goat, brie, Gouda, mozzarella, Parmesan, blue cheese, etc.
- Crackers or small slices of bread
- Spreads: fruit jams and jellies, mustard, or honey
- Olives: both green and black olives will add a salty and savory aspect to the platter and pair nicely with the meats and cheeses
- Nuts: almonds, pistachios, or pecans
- Dried fruits: figs, cranberries, or apricots
- Fresh fruits: grapes, pomegranates, or any type of berries will add a sweet aspect to the platter